Application Deadline: December 15th 2019
Do you have passion and commitment to development of Africa? Outstanding academic and professional achievements? A commitment to engage in crucial issues in Africa’s development? Do you wish to make a difference, be part of something bigger than yourself and explore your leadership potential? If yes, you are the one we are looking for.
The African Development Bank Young Professionals Program (YPP) is a three year leadership opportunity for the development of Bank’s future leaders. We attract highly qualified and motivated professionals from our member countries for a productive and rewarding career path in development. Through the YPP, the Bank ensures continuity and excellence in both the management of its work programs and the provision of policy advice to its regional member countries.
The Young Professionals Program (YPP) targets high potential, best-in-class young professionals with a strong passion for Africa’s development. This program is not an internship arrangement; rather it offers exceptional career opportunities to talented young professionals with leadership potential, an established record of outstanding academic and professional achievement to make a difference to the development of the African continent. The YPP includes a rigorous program of activities including a learning Academy that prepares participants to be technical and professional leaders with notable impact.
The Program is for a period of three years; the first two years will be spent on mandatory rotational placements across the Bank’s various functions. The third-year rotation year will be spent in the Home Complex where the YP will graduate into a staff position.Only YPs who have completed the YP Academy and have exhibited high performance and high potential will be integrated into the Bank’s workforce.The Professional and Personal Development Program is structured under the Young Professionals Learning Academy with specific learning interventions delivered in phases of 6 months each.
These learning interventions serve to deepen technical knowledge and build leadership skills required for effective delivery of task functions andfuture roles in the Bank.The Learning academy also includes on- the job training that requires immersion into various functional areas of the Bank for hands-on experience in projects and various work assignments.On-boarding and orientation programs ensure faster integration into the Bank’s culture and offers a robust support mechanism from mentors, coaches and buddy groups.Individual performance and potential will be reviewed periodically, and the necessary personal development plans customized to individual needs.
.• Be a citizen of a member country of the Bank.
• Be 32 years of age or younger by 1st May 2020.
• Possess a Master’s degree or equivalent in any discipline that is relevant to the business of the Bank, with outstanding academic credentials.
• Have at least 3 years work experience in the areas related to the high priority areas (Hi-5s) as mentioned above.
• Interested candidates with coding, e-development, animation and platforms designs and maintenance are required this year.
• Demonstrable hands-on experience on the African continent and/or in other continent’s developing countries is a necessary requirement.
• Have passion for Africa’s Development
• Able to leverage knowledge, share and coach others. Work effectively in teams with displayed high adaptability to a diverse environment.
• Strong analytical skills, an entrepreneurial drive, results- orientation and problem-solving capability.
• High business acumen and innovative mindset.
• Be proficient in the Bank’s working languages, either English and/or French.
• Have skills that enable you work in a digital environment and embrace technology as it evolves.
• Be willing to live in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire the Bank’s Headquarters, and any other country in Africa where the Bank may require your services.
Coaching: During rotations, your coach will identify development areas for you in your current role.
Mentoring & Sponsoring: Mentors &Sponsors will be selected from Vice-Presidents and Directors depending on the different domains that the Mentees wish to evolve This Program will also help build women in leadership which is a priority for the Bank. Through mentoring and sponsoring, the Talent Councils will identify YPs who need to be fast tracked for the succession plan for VPs and Director’ positions, decide on the projects to be conducted. There is a need to define implementation guidelines: TORs, work plan, etc.
A“Buddy-System”: You will be assigned a “Buddy” from the previous YP cohort, who will serve as a source of information and support during your familiarization with the Bank and country of assignment.
YPP Coordination Team: the YPP team is dedicated to the recruitment, training, performance evaluation and rotation management of the YP cohorts to ensure their successful completion of the Program.
YP Liaison Team (YPLT): two representatives are selected from the YP cohort and serve as active link between all YP cohorts and the YPP Coordination team in the HR Department. The YPLT serves one year and also sits on the YPP Steering Committee.
For More Information: