APPLY NOW!!! Call For Applications To Malaria Consortium’s Dr Sylvia Meek Scholarship For Entomology In South Africa
Malaria Consortium is pleased to maintain its partnership with the university of Pretoria, South Africa, to hold the Dr Sylvia Meek scholarship for Entomology.
The scholarship for Entomology has been organized in the reminiscence of Dr Sylvia Meek, Malaria Consortium’s global Technical Director who led elevating and pioneering work within the combat in opposition to infectious illnesses, and malaria mainly, before her untimely passing away in 2016.
Each Malaria Consortium and college of Pretoria are dedicated to make certain Sylvia’s imaginative and prescient is sustained with the aid of the future generation of entomologists in Africa. Sylvia become now not simplest a notable scientist but someone with super compassion who changed into an concept to her friends and co-employees.
The scholarship, set up in Sylvia’s honour by manner of Malaria Consortium, will empower a modern-day era of public fitness entomologists and malaria team of workers in Africa and Asia. Given the constrained range of place-orientated vector biologists, and the challenges African worldwide locations face in reaching malaria removal, this scholarship is a extraordinary possibility to manual the subsequent generation of public health entomologists in useful resource of this quest.
Malaria Consortium is overjoyed that the university of Pretoria will preserve to host recipients of the scholarship. The college of Pretoria is one of the foremost better education establishments in Africa and will be accepting one scholarship scholar in 2021 for a -12 months master of technological knowledge in Entomology based totally in and supervised by academic body of workers in the department of Zoology and Entomology. The MSc in Entomology supplied with the aid of the department of Zoology and Entomology is a studies-best programme that does not encompass a coursework issue. The successful applicant will begin their MSc programme in advance than the give up of March 2021.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
The following can follow for the Dr Sylvia Meek scholarship for Entomology at university of Pretoria
• Citizens from the following international locations can take a look at: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, the vital African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, the Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
• Applicants want to have successfully completed an Honours diploma or equivalent in Entomology or a related location.
• Candidates have to have pinnacle know-how of English (the language of education).
• Applicants should reveal an interest in, and willpower to, entomology and the manage of vector borne sicknesses.
• Applicants need to be no older than 35 on the time of submission
The following tasks in public health entomology are to be had for the present day call:
1. Malaria entomology and insecticide resistance in a excessive illness burden area of South Africa
Supervisors: Dr Megan Riddin (megan.Riddin@up.Ac.Za) and Prof. Armanda Bastos
Investigation into epidemiology and vector control technique success is needed to find out key elements contributing to staying power of malaria in Limpopo Province. this could be achieved via an in-field and laboratory take a look at to inspect malaria vector community composition (primary, secondary and novel vectors) and insecticide resistance detection in local populations.
2. Seasonal version in mosquito network structure and associations with larval habitats at resorts in a region of South Africa with residual malaria transmission
Supervisors: Prof. Christopher Weldon (cwweldon@zoology.Up.Ac.Za) and Dr Megan Riddin
Collaborators: Prof. Peter Furu, Dr Karin Schiøler, Dr Michael Alifrangis, Prof Flemming Konradsen, Ms Fatma Saleh, Mr Ayubo Kampango
Tourism contributes to financial and social improvement in South Africa, however the risk of malaria can deter worldwide travelers from journeying the northern areas of the united states of america. This undertaking turns into aware of hotspots of mosquito variety in lodges to increase powerful, systematic and coffee fee ecological control interventions to lessen mosquito abundance.
3. improved forecasting of mosquitoes related with arbovirus transmission in South Africa
Supervisors: Prof. Christopher Weldon (cwweldon@zoology.Up.Ac.Za) and Prof. Kerstin Krüger
Vector-borne pathogens impact human and animal fitness in South Africa, resulting in massive financial costs to fight human illness and losses for livestock industries. This project will decide the connection among weather variables and the distribution and abundance of mosquitoes the usage of a country wide suction entice network in South Africa.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION METHOD
– Candidates should prepare in partnership with the capability manager(s) a initial inspiration of no extra than 2 pages (together with applicable references) for one available studies task. The inspiration ought to consist of a mission name, historical past and justification, objectives, technique, and price range (no extra than ZAR30 000/yr over two years) with short justification.
– Applicants should touch the ability supervisor(s) well earlier of the application deadline in order that there is time to expand a good suggestion.
– Candidates should ship an application to Prof. Christopher Weldon on the college of Pretoria (cwweldon@zoology.Up.Ac.Za), which include the following files:
– A cover letter now not exceeding one A4 page, addressing the selection criteria, which include your instructional history and applicable experience, and the place of medical entomology you would like to specialize in on completion of the MSc The 2-web page preliminary proposal developed in collaboration with the capability supervisor Bachelor’s and Honours degree educational transcripts (grade document wherein the finished publications are indexed, consisting of interpretation of grades while now not numeric) English proficiency take a look at end result or another evidence of talent in English for applicants from countries where English isn’t always the reliable language
– Please put up those documents no later than 17:00 (Johannesburg time; GMT+2) Monday eight February 2021.
– The university of Pretoria will display and shortlist programs based totally on (1) the high-quality of the cowl letter and preliminary concept and (2) eligibility for the MSc in Entomology programme. The shortlist could be submitted to a scholarship choice panel constituted by using Malaria Consortium vector control specialists.
– Shortlisted applicants will be invited to send to the scholarship choice panel the following:
• Non-public assertion written in English of no extra than 500 phrases indicating why you would like to take a look at public health entomology two letters of advice (may be professional or educational references)
• Shortlisted candidates will be informed of the final results of the selection procedure by using Monday 22 February 2021.
– The a success applicant will be invited to put up an internet utility for the MSc in Entomology programme on the university of Pretoria. applicants with out South African qualifications will first need to have their qualifications confirmed through the South African qualifications Authority. An admission letter can be processed, that may then be used by a success non-South African applicants to apply for a study visa in coaching for the start of the 2020 instructional 12 months. The a hit applicant have to be registered and commence the MSc in Entomology programme earlier than 31 March 2021.
– The Dr Sylvia Meek scholarship for Entomology will cowl all lessons charges, a studies allowance to the whole cost of ZAR60 000 (ZAR30 000/year), ZAR 78 000/yr for preservation prices which includes lodging and board, an allowance for travel to South Africa (if non-national) and go back home after final touch of the programme, and medical insurance for the length of the MSc programme, i.E. a maximum of calendar years, by using which era the scholars should finish their degree.
Greater detail and application here