The International Mathematical Union invites applications from mathematicians professionally based in developing countries to go to a world research collaborator for a period of 1 month.
In case the length of the visit exceeds one month, the candidate should provide evidence of monetary support from the host institution to hide the living expenses beyond the primary month.
The program is meant for post-doctoral mathematicians within the early stages of their professional careers. it’s designed to supply the chance for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians meaning to also sustain a viable research program.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is sponsored fully by the Abel Prize in mathematics.
Usually, up to three Grants are available per annum.
1. hold a PhD in Mathematics at the time of application,
2. be based during a developing country at the time of application (information on “Developing Country” right below)
3. hold an edge during a university/ research institution
4. be within the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
a. not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working accept a university/ college
b. be under 35 years aged on the day of the appliance deadline.
NB The maximum age could also be increased by up to 3 years within the case of a private with a broken career pattern. this could be noted within the application alongside the rationale for the broken career pattern.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Deadlines (for completed applications)
Applications must be received a minimum of four months before the specified starting date. the choice committee will review the applications and award fellowships every four months. The result’s announced on the Abel Visiting Scholar Recipients page.
The following deadlines apply:
• April 30, 2021 for visits between September 1 and New Year’s Eve , 2021
• August 31, 2021 for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2022
December 31, 2021 for visits between May Day and August 31, 2022
If your application isn’t complete by the deadline, it can’t be considered for the evaluation round.
Please send your application a minimum of one week beforehand for us to review.
NB For all applicants applying for CDC funding for activities scheduled between June 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021:
Please note that we’ll request a confirmation letter from the top of the hosting department (where the activity is meant to require place) confirming the dates of the planned activity.
Before you apply for CDC funding, please also check for any travel warnings for specific countries.
Each application must include:
1. The completed Online form.
2. A CV of applicant and host, including an inventory of recent publications (max. 3 pages each).
3. A research plan for the visit.
4. An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner.
5. One letter of advice If the letter of advice isn’t written by the international research partner (the host), the appliance should include a press release from the host approving the research plan.
6. A copy of the PhD certificate.
7. A statement about the present employment status/ position within the home institution signed and stamped by your employer. Your duration of employment should be included in the statement. Please use the template attached.
8. A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information see ‘Financial Support’).
9. A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the web Application Form) (The picture are going to be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/abel-visiting-scholar-program/abel-visiting-scholar-2018) if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a pleasant picture in good quality!)
10. In case you’re getting to stay for quite one month you want to attach a symbol of the funds for your living costs from the host institution.
Please merge all required documents (except the image of you) into one (1) PDF file and upload it within the Online form .
If your application isn’t completed by the deadline, it can’t be considered for evaluation. Please send your application a minimum of fortnight beforehand so it is often checked.
The research statement should explain the scientific research you plan to pursue and list the mathematicians with whom you’ll collaborate. The applicant must have already got initiated research contact with the proposed international research partner(s). Evidence of prior collaboration are going to be considered a plus. The collaboration should happen at the international partner’s home institution.
The grant can protect one month and just for the applicant up to 4,400 EUR (5,000 Dollars):
1. Travel costs
a. From the place of labor of the applicant thereto of the host to the extent of economy class airfare. The flight are going to be booked and directly paid by the IMU Secretariat.
b. (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the closest city where the airport is found and therefore the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is found , if necessary). Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) could also be allowed to travel between the house and therefore the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
c. In case the applicant has got to stay during a hotel before departure or upon arrival, this must be mentioned within the budget details. Maximum one (1) night (both arrival and departure) are often paid from the grant.
2. Visa fees
3. Travel insurance charges
4. Basic living cost (daily allowance supported living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the value for conveyance and every one other living costs). For an inventory please go here. If the accommodation includes breakfast or the other meals, the daily amount are going to be reduced.
5. Accommodation cost within the host country (hotel is allowed if the host provides a press release that no guesthouse or rented flat is out there and max. 4 weeks. If you stay longer than 4 weeks you’ve got to rent an appropriate apartment or guesthouse). Receipts for cash payments for accommodation costs can’t be accepted! you’ve got to pay via a trackable transfer method.
All invoices for travel cost, visa, insurance, accommodation and up to four taxi receipts and every one boarding tickets need to be kept by the grantee and be sent (original) to the CDC/ IMU Secretariat by regular mail.
Cash withdrawal receipts can’t be accepted!
If you travel during public holidays within the host country and while the host institution is closed for public holidays (e.g. during Christmas time) you can’t received basic living cost during the amount the institution is closed, but your accommodation cost are often paid.
Please note that the grant doesn’t cover any travel costs, accommodation and living costs for requests for extra trips (e.g. to participate in conferences/ workshops) during this point . Those costs need to be covered by the grantee or his/her host institution. The research period only covers the living and accommodation cost. Just in case the grantees stays abroad for personal or other purposes not associated with the research visit neither living or accommodation cost are often covered from the grant.
The grant is paid in two installments:
• First payment for accommodation within the host country, travel insurance, visa, transport to the airport and 50% of the living cost before departure.
• Second payment for the remaining living costs after the visit.
• To receive the second payment the report, pictures and every one invoices must be send to the IMU Secretariat before the second payment are often initiated.
The activity and financial report, pictures and every one invoices must be send to the IMU Secretariat before the second payment are often initiated.
FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS AND REPORTING
• Please note that an summary of the expenses got to be listed within the financial report and wish to be amid the first invoices and boarding tickets (excluding the living expenses).
• The financial and activity report should be sent to the IMU Secretariat, CDC Administration two (!) weeks after the top of the research visit.
• Unspent funds got to be returned to CDC/ Abel Funds.
The Abel Visiting Scholar Program is run by the Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union.
Your application can only be considered if by the deadline, all necessary documents have reached us.
Mathematicians from Africa should also concede to apply to the IMU Simons African Fellowship Program which has an equivalent conditions and approx. 10 Scholarships available per annum . Please note that IF you’re APPLYING FOR the IMU-SIMONS AFRICAN Fellowship you can’t apply for the Abel Visting Scholar Program at an equivalent time.
The selection criteria is predicated on the the standard of the project and therefore the benefit/added value for the house institution/country.
A selection committee decides which applications are successful.
The Selection Committee consists of
a) a member chosen by the Abel board
b) a member chosen by CDC
c) a 3rd member chosen by the IMU EC
Members b) and c) serve for a 3 year term with a maximum of two periods. The Abel Committee decides on the duration of member a).
The Selection Committee consists of three members (1 August 2016–31 July 2019).
A candidate who isn’t selected, has the likelihood to re-apply
Mathematicians from Africa are highly recommended to use to the IMU Simons African Fellowship Program
Applications must be received a minimum of four months before the specified starting date
In case of questions, please contact: cdc.grants(at)mathunion.org
More details and application here